
I think making my first indian dish by myself requires me to start a blog. I had one in the past, just got busy with life's demands and gave up on it. Its always nice to have a place to type whatever you are feeling that day.. and it is 2007 whats not a better place then the world wide web?
Back to my accomplishment of last night. This whole thing started because I am getting married in October and my mother thought it was appalling that I did not know how to make one indian dish. Of course she thought it was bad since she thinks its a direct reflection of her and how she never taught her only daughter how to cook indian food. Since I got engaged its was my mothers sole mission to teach me how to cook. After many of weekends of us trying and her just taking over the stove I gave up. Then i thought.. I make other dishes fine because I go by what the recipes say. Since my mother will not ever write her cooking secrets down (a pinch of this and that.. what does that mean??) I decided to go online and find a recipe for a Kerala staple dish called Thoran. With my father heckling me and my mom carefully eyeing me from the couch the recipe from the paper came to life! It was actually pretty easy. Just a lot of juggling with the different mixes. We all sat down together and ate my first dish. Everyone enjoyed. It was so satisfying to have cooked something and have my family love it.
The end result:
I will be trying a new experiment this weekend. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment